Tuesday, October 1, 2013

19-Year-Old Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World's Oceans

The amount of thought this 19yr. old put into this plan is flawless, this could be the answer that everyone is looking for to rid the plastic in the ocean without harming the sea life. I wonder why no one thought about this before but the question I have for the creator is how can the machine determine which is plastic and which is plankton? I am guessing that everyone that has asked this question do to the case that both plastic and plankton are about the same size, so how can it determine which is which. Another thing that was interesting was that this use to be a school paper that would win the Best Technical Design 2012, and a few months later he created a small scale of the project that could remove 7,250,000 tons of plastic if the government decides to invest in his invention. Boyan Slant, the 19yr old boy who designed this contraption went into a non-profit organization to make his idea a reality, the only down side is that it will take 5yrs. to gather the amount of plastic it said it would collect, then their should be more than 1 of his inventions to keep up with the rate of trash that is getting put in the ocean. I hope that this invention will be the permanent solution to the trash in the ocean, but I doubt it would be because of all of the time, effort, fabrication, making might not be enough to keep up with the rate that us Americans are throwing trash away.

No comments:

Post a Comment